I documented the API in my post at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/twitter-development-talk/mbRRzl2CWc4

I think that the API endpoint I documented is only available to those who can use the photo upload on the web and all iOS 5 users. I cannot tell you when the API is available to everyone, but I think it'll be slowly released to everyone, and when everyone can use it, the API will probably be officially announced.

Tom

PS: I found out that if you want to add several images to one post you should name all of those entities "media[]" - but that should go into that other topic.