"What they do in the background is irrelevant for the general public and for the purpose of this discussion."

I very much disagree on that it's not relevant. If Twitter clients implement t.co properly, it's nothing more than a background process. I haven't seen a t.co link in days, as I finally implemented automatic unshortening of t.co links in my client - just like a lot of other clients do.

If a link gets automatically unshortened on display, it's effectively nothing more than a background process.

Tom