If this is for an iPhone app, it's likely you don't need to deal with the
streaming API or the complexity of authentication at all.

Occasional unauthenticated requests to a specific public user's timeline is
probably most appropriate in this case.

For instance, to get the ~5 most recent tweets and retweets by the musician
Mike Doughty just issue a HTTP GET request:

GET
http://api.twitter.com/1/statuses/user_timeline.json?count=5&include_entities=true&include_rts=true&screen_name=Mike_Doughty_

Keep in mind that our count parameters are really "up to" parameters, and
you may get less than the specified count back. Unauthenticated requests are
limited to 150 per hour per IP address, so you'll want to stay conservative
with these requests in an unauthenticated context.

@episod <http://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=episod> - Taylor
Singletary