>> 1. Your choice. You have now the opportunity to be sure the new
>> version  doesn't break existing code, specially yours.

> No, it's the job of the person introducing the changes to make sure the
> component is backward compatible, and if not, document VERY CLEARLY at
> the top of the code any implications of the changes, not just in this
> mailing list.  And to clearly mark and date and changes.

This is not possible to make sure any existing code is not broken. The
components are much too open to achieve this goal. The person introducing
the changes can only reasonably guess that his changes won't break most
existing code. FYI, the changes you critize doesn't break any of my existing
code and I have received only very few report that it break anything.

> I, nor anyone else, don't the time or inclination to compare every new
> source for undocumented changes, and try to work out what has been done.

That's not what is asked. It is asked that you (and others) give an opinion
about how the new features are implemented. There are design choices to be
taken. You can influence on the choices. The more people participating, the
better will the choices taken be ! If you don't want to participate, it's OK
but then, do not complain when it is finished that it doesn't perfectly fit
your needs.