Hello!

>> I wrote a write-buffering stream. Anyone interested? Adding read and seek
>> support and extending it so it can write to other streams shouldn't be
>> difficult.
>> <snip>

> I thought windows buffered writes anyway? Is this so you can have a
> larger
> buffer or something completely different?

Indeed, Windows buffers writes, so disk heads don't go over FAT and file
too frequently (without buffering, every write consists of writing data
to the disk in both file data sectors, and FAT sectors - three writes, one
byte each, will cause five or six head seeks, with buffering, there'll be
only one actual write to file and one FAT update). But parameter checking
and windows' internal buffering code is slower than buffering on application
side. That is - having your app to write in greater chunks speeds things
up CONSIDERABLY. Why won't you check it? :)

--
Piotr "Hellrayzer" Dalek