Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd a écrit :
>>I suggest that the compression part (i.e the one that implement the
>>gzip using the dll) should not be included in the library (I mean the
>>ICS package, not the distrbuted zip) but as demo or similar. Then it
>>is a choose of the developer if include it (or another
>>implementation) in the application.
>

> I disagree.  Given that ICS is essentially undocumented, if people have
> to go searching through dozens of demo applications to find the
> compression code, they simply won't do it.  ICS is supposed to be high
> level components that include such functionality.
>
> Since Zlib is part of the VCL in Delphi 7 and later, and 2006 has the
> latest version, it makes sense to simply use the VCL, in exactly the
> same way as we use the VCL for numerous other things.  Assuming it's
> implements the features we need.

there i don't agree with you. if you consider ICS, it's almost VCL free.
it shouldn't be more dependant on any VCL component.

> If some developers are not satisfied with the VCL ZLIB, they can
> override the components and include whatever code they want.  I'm not
> sure of the ZLIB state in Delphi 6 and earlier, I think it needed to be
> installed separately, but since I seem to be only one here that using
> anything older than Delphi 7 (which I'm now migrating away from), it
> probably does not matter.

i do agree to say that using zlib or any other compression method has
more its place within a demo (why not write a special demo for using
compression with http based upon any of the actual demo, but named
specifically HttpCompression - for example).

The advantage of having it in a demo, and even using an external DLL in
that demo, would be to explain how one can :
- create a compression/descompression component
- idem as above but as a wrapper for an external compression method
stored in a DLL

IMHO, after having read all the thread :)

Best regards,

--

Guillaume MAISON - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
83, Cours Victor Hugo