Francois PIETTE wrote:
>> Concerning a client idle timeout in a server application/component
>> where would you refresh client's last alive time stamp? It's clear to
>> refresh it in OnDataAvailable, but that is not enough, it has to be
>> refreshed also when data is being sent. Should I use/override
>> TryToSend for this purpose? What if someone would put 2GB into the
>> send buffer?
>
> There is an event triggered when TWSocket send each data pacet:
> OnSendData which is perfect in that case.

I forgot this event completely :) I hope it's not too slow calling
GetTickCount from it.

>> Hmm, I see multi-threading issues, since a timer always fires in
>> context of the thread where it has been created.
>
> What if TIcsTimer post a message to the calling component when the
> programmed timer event has occured ?  Wouldn't this would solve all
> multithread issues ?

Then TIcsTimer would have to manage a list of linked ICS-Components.
When the timer fires it has to iterate thru this list. But
deferencing a component pointer which might have been already destroyed
(by another thread) will crash, right? You probably can make that
threadsafe, however I fear it would slow down performance too much?

---
Arno Garrels [TeamICS]