On Nov 10, 2006, at 15:14, Jody Bowman wrote:
> If I include more than 1018 characters worth of email addresses in the
> To: line (which can happen in my app), the letter is sent successfully
> to all recipients but the email header information appears in the body
> of the email.  I checked the SMTP protocol
> (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc0821.txt) and I’m well within the limit of
> 100 recipients.

First, I don't understand what the problem is.  Are you saying that the
headers appear as part of the body as opposed to the header section?
This could be a side-effect of your e-mail client when it receives a
message with such large headers.

>   If there is an item that says doing this is invalid I haven’t been
> able to find it.

Yes there is.  From the link you sent, RFC 821:

{START QUOTE}
4.5.3. SIZES

[...]

[Page 42]

text line

                The maximum total length of a text line including the
                <CRLF> is 1000 characters (but not counting the leading
                dot duplicated for transparency).
{END QUOTE}

Please understand that the headers of an e-mail message are sent as
part of the body of the message (in during the DATA transaction), and
technically are no different than any other body line.  The distinction
between "header" and "body" is made by the receiving party, by
splitting the message body text on the first blank line (CRLF+CRLF).

If you have to send messages to such large recipient lists, I wonder if
you would perhaps be better served by using one of the following
techniques:

- Sending the recipients as BCC (Blind Carbon Copy), which will make
the SMTPCli component submit them in the envelope transaction, but not
as part of the headers.  This is a common way in which some
distribution lists operate.

- Creating a custom application using SMTPCli component that will
submit the recipients directly to the server during the envelope
transaction, being aware of rejections, disconnections, and other
server problems, and initiate as many SMTP transactions as needed until
all recipients are submitted.  This is the most common way in which
mailing lists operate.

        dZ.

--
        DZ-Jay [TeamICS]