> << Alternatively, you may send your data in text form instead of binary
> form.
> It takes more space but you have no problem with line end terminator (The
> default CRLF is perfect) and you avoid problem with binary representation
> of
> data which DIFFER from one processor to another processor.>>
>
> So sending records from a C program running on Linux to a Delphi app
> running
> on Windows would result in being unable to easily "unpack" the record?

Not only different languages may represent data types differently (specially
for string, floting point, date and time) but different processors will
represent data differently (some processors are "big endian" others are
"little endian". If you don't know what it is, google is your friend :-)

> IOW, the C struct will not convert/translate to a Delphi record easily?

It depends what is in a C struct.
Without mention to data alignement problems (true for any language).

> If so, I think delimited strings will definitely have to be our solution.

Yes, it is a very good solution.
The only drawback is somewhat slower because you have to convert to/from
ascii to the binary data and the data size is somewhat larger. Most well
known TCP/IP protocols are ascii based.