Hello Tobias,

> TCP/IP connection with high round trip times and small packet sizes

If packets are < max MCU then Nagle will come in and will wait a while
to see if you want to send a packet again. Nagle does this to try to
concat packets to a larger one to fit into the max packet size.
Specially if you use a command / ack protocol and packets are very small
this will slow down a lot. Typically 4..5 packets per second in that
case.

To improve performance you can make your packets equal to the MTU, or
switch Nagle off. There are some notes on Microsoft site about this. If
you search for Nagle on MSDN you will find a lots information about
that. They dont encourage to switch it off but in some cases (maybe
yours) it is better. Note that you have to switch it of at both ends.

oh hes: it is the TcpNoDelay option you have to switch on in TWSocket.

>  ~ 1.18 MB/s when using my application
>  ~ 1.2 MB/s when using the ICS FTP demo server
>  ~ 6.5 MB/s when using the Indy10 FTP demo server

The ICS demo programs are not specifically written to improve speed.
They are written to give a as mutch as possible clear for newcomers. A
PII300 CPU can easy saturate a 100 mbps network with TWSocket.

---
Rgds, Wilfried [TeamICS]
http://www.mestdagh.biz