> When evaluating what way to go I thought that either Kylix could be used
> (but is that product still active?) or we port the code (including ICS)
> to C/C++. Maybe the glib library could be used to provide the Unix
> alternative to messages and threads:
> http://www.gtk.org/api/2.6/glib/index.html
Kylix seems dead, which is a shame. But there is an alternative in
FreePascal/Lazarus if you still want to code in Pascal.

> @Francois: I think you are right with your statement that GNU/Linux
> users want free software when it comes to desktop users. But IMHO there
> is a market for commercial server software. Many of our customers are
> already running their Oracle database on a Unix machine.

Which is different from Windows desktop user in what sense ?

I'm a happy Linux user and the main reason is not the cost, it is the
stability and the fact that the OS is not crippled on purpose. All my
servers run Linux and I even use it on the desktop. Still, I'm willing
to pay for a good application, be it on Windows or Linux.

Anyway, I think there will be a big market for application on Linux
when it gets more market share, on desktop and servers. Having ICS and
Pascal available to us would make it a lot easier to code on that
platform since we are used to Delphi.

I still think that Borland should reconsider their Kylix port, as I
would be one of the first willing to pay for it.

Just my 2 cents