Francois PIETTE wrote:
>> I've written a FTP-uploader without taking much care of speed issues.
>> It uploads 17000 files with total size of 830 MB in 56 mins in my
>> 100 MBit/s LAN (logging each FTP-command).
>>
>> What do you think, is that:
>> a) Poor
>> b) OK
>> c) Fast
>>
>> I currently don't have any idea.
>
> Actually, this is a lot of small files (48KB mean size).
> Speed is roughly 2 Mbps which is low for a 100 Mbps.

Oha, as I read between the lines, I have to rework my code :(

> Do you establish a new connection for each file ?

A new data connection is established for each file, the control
connection however is not re-established.

> What about directory changes ?

The directory tree is created at the remote end if not yet present.

> Is it a single FTP connection for all files sequentially ?

Yes, stupidly one file after the other (that shall not be
changed, since multiple instances shall be reserved for sendind to
different destinations the same files concurrently).

> Is it a single destination server ?

Yes, Serv-U was the test server.

> What about authentication ? If you do a new connection for each file,
> autenthication alone can be time consuming.

There's only one session.

> What if you transfert the same data volume (830MB) in a single file ?

Needs testing, but from memory, LAN speed looked quite OK.

> Same question if you break into 4 large file and use 4 instances of
> your program ?

That would most likely speed up things, currently CPU use is only at
0-15% at the client side.

--
Arno Garrels [TeamICS]