Hi all,

We've been using ICS for quite a while now, but recenlty we've come at
the point that we hit the limit of 10 'half-open' connections introduced
in Windows XP SP2.
See:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/transform.aspx?ProdName=Windows%20Operating%20System&ProdVer=5.2&EvtID=4226&EvtSrc=Tcpip&LCID=1033

In an attempt to avoid hitting the maximum of 10 'half-open' connetions
(meaning status is SYN_SENT, client sent SYN, but did not receive ACK
(yet)) when trying to build up
a lot of TCP connections, I'm limiting the time each connection has to
'get connected'.

So I create a socket, and if it doesn't get connected in time, I free it
again, leaving room to try on other sockets.

The problem I experience is that sometimes, when I free a socket, to
windows it's still known as a socket in state SYN_SENT.

I've determined this with multiple tools, amongst others netstat and
tcpview from sysinternals.

I've made a small test application which demonstrates this, it creates a
socket, tries to connect to a fictional address and frees the socket
time based,
when you monitor this app with above mentioned applications, you notice
that sometimes a socket still considered in status SYN_SENT after freeing.

This behavior makes it very difficult to avoid the limit of 10 half open
connections, and I hope someone can give me hand on this one.

I've tested this with both the latest V5 as well as the latest V6 beta,
both have the same issues.

regards,

Merijn