Tobias Rapp wrote:
>> Due to the lack of SSL SSH has been used in the past to tunnel
>> unsecure FTP on those platforms. Today however most FTP server even
>> in the Unix wourld do support SSL as well.
>
> Hmm, do you talk about SFTP? AFAIK SFTP is not just FTP tunneled over
> SSH but an own protocol (see [1]).

Ah ok, long time ago since I read about it.

> If you talk about tunneling using
> SSH in general then I would say that this feature is still popular
> today as it does not need a full-fledged public-key infrastructure
> (see [2]) and is very easy to setup.

That makes it less secure, at least in a public environment.
SSH keys do neither allow validation of key integrity nor
identity of the key owner, AFAIK.

> IMHO it would make sense to implement such a feature-rich
> multi-purpose protocol in ICS
> but of course this wouldn't be an easy
> task.

That's why I doubt that somebody will take the job unless
required in a commercial project, in such a case it would make
sense of course.