> Yes, this is blocking DNS lookup which I want to avoid. And I
> dislike relying on OS timeouts, maybe it'll be 5 minutes long?

There is nothing you can do to speed-up or stop the DNS or connection
timeouts, they are specified in the registry.  Even if you abort the
component on a timer, you can not re-use the socket for another
connection until the original Windows timeouts expires.

I suspect that only one DNS look-up is done at a time, and multiple
look-ups are queued, but this may be OS dependent, and I could be wrong.
Using dozens or hundreds of sockets gets around the OS timeout issues.

The best you can do is ping the remote IP first, because ping can be
timed out in five seconds or something sensible.  But this not always
work across the public internet due to firewalls blocking ping.

Angus