Well, it turned out to be an ICS web server issue on XP as the client works
well with other IPs. Also the server engine debug exe (which is just the
service code wrapped in simple GUI) also works yet the service! I cannot
access the Services section of Windows too--gives error about ActiveX. The
interesting thing is all these that happen under vmware in XP also happens
to other people as well!
Regards,

SZ