On 16-09-2011 18:58, Arno Garrels wrote:
That would work which plain text
Why your reference to "plaint text"? A WideString can carry any data, or I'm missing something?

And WideStrings are now relatively fast, in Vista and 7, if compared to XP.

But I really don't know if two calls, one to get the size and another to get the data, with the two related EnterCriticalSection, is faster. And if a EnterCriticalSection is being used, I suppose it is because the data can change, so there is the potential the first call to get the size is no longer valid when requesting the data itself.