Hello!

> OverbyteIcsNntpCli.pas uses 32-bit number and GetInteger function to
> convert number to integer rather than StrToInt64. Additionally it uses -1
> value as well which further limits the use of 32-bit range. Extending to
> even 63-bit value (not even need for 64 bit unsigned) as 63 bit integer is
> still a very very very very large number not likely to be reached anytime
> soon even in alt.binaries.boneless.

> How complicated a change to 64 bit article ID's is?

Depends on actual application, because on ICS side it should be easy...
except it'll probably break a lot of existing code that assumes 32bit
article IDs.
I did it some time ago and from my experience, it's quite a lot of work, I
had to change format of index files, change the code that located articles
by their IDs and group management code to accomodate for new boundaries,
also it required me to change a bunch of things in configuration dialogs
(now they had to take new boundaries into account), ... But that's mostly
the application side work. For current versions of Delphi - I think, though
I'm not 100% certain - changing integer type from usual integer/cardinal to
int64 should be relatively safe. Applications that assume 32bit integers
will probably get only a tons of warnings, but should work as long as the
actual values are within signed 32-bit integer boundaries.

--
Piotr Dałek
enigmati...@interia.pl