I had a similar problem when converting to XE2 from Delphi7 - my TwSocket
component was designed to send a header string containing the length of the
data to follow, and then I would read that bit to get the actual data - and
then process it - but with XE2 being unicode aware - suddenly I had extra
characters in the actual transmitted message - so the counter at the
beginning of the data did not match the actual data - and therefore there
was still stuff to receive (still in the buffer) so it hung the client up.

Regards
Brian