> We are running this code for testing, as it shows the issue better:
> (Code has been stripped of error handling, etc.)

I don't see anything wrong with your code sample, but you would be better
using the tried and tested code from the WaitUntilReady function which
duplicates what you are trying to do, but tests the State property to see
when something is finished.

Or just use the Dir sync function which calls WaitUntilReady.

Sometimes TCP/IP does not behave as you expect when connections don't
close properly, which seems to be your problem, which is why TMagFtp has
the ability to repeat functions on failure.

Angus