> I do not have much knowledge about SSL but I  presume SSL
> certificates are required if my client decides to use a FTPS site.

No, it is not necessary for client software to check SSL certificates to
use SSL connections, the data is still encrypted.  Checking the
certificate is an extra level of security to ensure the data is coming
from the correct server.

Certificate checking can be done, most of the code is there in TMagFtp,
but there is an extra overhead for each connection, and more errors to
handle if the certificate fails checks.

Server software always needs a SSL certificate.

Angus