OK, I've tried that now but it's unfortunately made no difference.

Just for info, I've set two breakpoints. One on the function
THttpCli.PrepareBasicAuth and the second on the procedure
THttpCli.StartAuthBasic which I rightly or wrongly expected to be called.

The breakpoint at StartBasicAuth never gets hit whilst the PrepareBasicAuth
never makes it passed "if (FStatusCode = 401) and (FDoAuthor.Count > 0) and"

I did notice the following comment in the class file which made me smile:
{ ServerAuth and ProxyAuth properties are still experimental. They are
likely to change in the future. If you use them now, be prepared to update
your code later }

In the meanwhile, I'll continue to investigate.

Kind Regards, Wayne