I've writen an FTP client that previously used OnFtpProgress, and can confirm that it's called a tremendous amount of times, and in my case caused my client application to hit 100% CPU as a result. The way I've implemented it in the past is to create another FTP Client class derived from ICS FTPClient, with an added timer which is turned on at the start of the transfer, and off at the end of the transfer, and every time the timer is fired (at intervals of say, 1000 ms), it updates the progress bar.

Hope that helps with an efficient implementation.

Lester