I'm also for dropping obsolete support for 1.0.2

-----Original Message-----
From: TWSocket [mailto:twsocket-boun...@lists.elists.org] On Behalf Of Angus
Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd
Sent: October 5, 2016 2:46 AM
To: twsocket@lists.elists.org
Subject: [twsocket] Straw poll - Should ICS continue to support old OpenSSL
versions?

The recent introduction of OpenSSL 1.1.0 required a lot of internal changes in
ICS which were made backward compatible with older versions.

ICS V8.34 currently supports three OpenSSL versions, but it would make future
maintenance of ICS easier if only the latest OpenSSL 1.1.0 were supported.
Support for 1.0.1 ceases this year anyway, but 1.0.2 is a long term version for
with support continuing for two or three years.

Currently there is a lot of conditional code where different versions differ in
some way which leads to bloat.  We are also continuing to support some obsolete
properties that no longer work in 1.1.0, to make ICS fully backward compatible.

Benefits of continued support for OpenSSL 1.0.2
- 1.0.2 has longer history, proven reliable
- 1.1.0 only released six weeks ago, perhaps buggy

Benefits of dropping support for OpenSSL 1.0.2
- easier to maintain ICS, less ICS code
- could drop support for obsolete properties, like SslVersionMethod
- no actual new bugs introduced in 1.1.0, yet

So can I please ask users of ICS to comment to this message saying whether new
versions of ICS should continue to support old versions of OpenSSL.

Also, would you prefer obsolete properties to remain so old programs don't need
any changes, but perhaps confusing new users who may not realise these
properties are useless.

Angus