78 is the first loaf with hydraulic lifters and the last year with the
common exhaust parts.  If I am correct, the 79 has a one-year exhaust
setup.  So, it's the last loaf worth getting before they switched body
styles and exhaust parts.

I just got a 78 deluxe... got it in green, too :)  It's pretty nice..
except for the fact that I blew out the engine.. but then again, what vw
owner hasn't.. and.. what vw bus owner doesn't have 2 backup engines ..
hahaha

Mike