Well I don't know exactly what is happening as I can't see exactly what
your wanting to do. But from looking at the TSOB I can see that both
tt_content.list.20.9.0 and tt_news import plugin.tt_news

So I suspect that if you add this line
dates.60.renderObj =< plugin.tt_news
  you can then have it selected and rendered as is by default. But it
should afaik then also allow you to alter the
display/setting/parameters/(what ever term you want to use) for that one
item only. So what you define by plugin.tt_news.XXX would become
dates.60.renderObj.XXX

So I'm guessing (but I suspect) that

dates.60.renderObj =< plugin.tt_news
dates.60.renderObj.templateFile =
fileadmin/Arts_Co-op/templates/news_templates/arts-co-op-headlines.tmpl

Might start to help you.

hth

Kathryn Blair wrote:
> [...]
>>
> plugin.tt_news.templateFile=fileadmin/Arts_Co-op/templates/news_templates/ar
>> ts-co-op-headlines.tmpl
>> [global]
>>
>> But I must be either doing something wrong because I can't get that to
> work
>> in a condition, or it just doesn't work in conditions. Works for just
>> grabbing the data though.
>>
>> I also tried using .if**, but it doesn't seem like that works past just
>> rendering the object or not. So I could do:
>>
>> dates.10.if
>>
>> and decide whether to render the object "dates.10", but I can't do
>>
>> dates.10.wrap.if
>>
>> and determine whether or not to wrap it, so it doesn't look like that will
>> work for the template file / other plugin.tt_news setting, because it
> would
>> have to be
>>
>> plugin.tt_news.templateFile.if
>>

>> I'm now using an alternate approach I saw here:
>>
> http://www.typo3-jack.net/typo3-english-lists-netfielders-de/11808-typo3-how
>> -set-typoscript-specific-content-element.html
>>
>> It works, but it means that all of the options (categories, number of
> items
>> to display, etc) for the object are set via typoscript, which is not ideal
>> because I won't be maintaining the site.
>>

>> *
>>
> http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/references/doc_core_tsref/4.
>> 1.0/view/4/1/
>> **
>>
> http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/references/doc_core_tsref/4.
>> 1.0/view/5/7/
>>

>> Message: 8
>> Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 13:14:14 +0100
>> From: Tyler Kraft <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> Subject: Re: [TYPO3] TS for specific [news, or other] content elements
>> To: typo3-english@lists.netfielders.de
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Prehaps I'm missing the idea here, but are globalVar and globalString
>> not two different things? And if you want to test for a specific news
>> record displaying  wouldn't you use tx_ttnews[tt_news]=401 and do
>> something like
>>
>> [globalVar = GP:tt_news=401]
>> or
>> [globalVar = GP:tx_ttnews|tt_news=401]
>>
>> What exactly are you trying to do? (you don't really explain that here)
>> Are you wanting to draw out one specific record and place it on one
>> specific page (with out it being in the BE page content)? Can you please
>> give a better description of what you want to achieve
>>
>> Tyler
>>
>> Kathryn Blair wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> I want to be able to set separate TS for specific news content elements.
>>> I've seen some potential info inline for this, but not ones which made it
>>> clear to me how I could adapt them to what I wanted to do.
>>>
>>> What I REALLY want to do is use a condition to target a specific news
>>> elemenet based on its uid (in tt_content). I saw an example here:

>>> plugin.tt_news._LOCAL_LANG.de.preAuthor = Autor:
> [...]
> =
>>> TSFE:fe_user|user|username = test] is not basing it's true/falseness on
>> the
>>> table fe_user, but the variables in the TSFE. I don't know a lot of PHP,
>> but
>>> I went on an odyssey trying to figure this out and this is what I've got:
>>>
>>> There is no tt_content variable for TSFE, but there is a cObj variable.
>>> (which I saw here:
>>>
> http://www.typo3-unleashed.net/typo3apidocs/typo3api_4.0.0/html/d8/d11/class
>>> _8tslib__fe_8php-source.html). cObj also has variables [sorry if my
>>> terminology is off], including $currentRecord, which "is set to the
>>> [table]:[uid] of the record delivered in the $data-array, if the cObjects
>>> CONTENT or RECORD is in operation. Note that
>> $GLOBALS['TSFE']->currentRecord
>>> is set to an equal value but always indicating the latest record
>> rendered."
>>
> (http://www.typo3-unleashed.net/typo3apidocs/typo3api_4.0.0/html/da/d2c/clas
>>> stslib__cObj-members.html). Yay, you would think this would solve all of
>> my
>>> problems!
>>>
>>> Well, this ts does render the table:uid (in this case, because I just put
>>> the typoscript in a template, that was pages:uid-of-current-page):
>>>
>>>     20 = TEXT
>>>     20.data = TSFE:cObj|currentRecord
>>>     20.wrap = TSFE=|<br />
>>>
>>> but I can't seem to write a condition based on this that is successful in
>>> targeting the specific content object. Here's what I'm trying:
>>>
>>> [globalString=TSFE:cObj|currentRecord=tt_content:1316]
>>>
> plugin.tt_news.templateFile=fileadmin/Arts_Co-op/templates/news_templates/ar
>>> ts-co-op-headlines.tmpl
>>> [global]
>>>
>>> I know that
>>>
> plugin.tt_news.templateFile=fileadmin/Arts_Co-op/templates/news_templates/ar
>>> ts-co-op-headlines.tmpl is correct because I tried it with other
>> conditions
>>> (TSFE:id=321). I know I can set template files on the tt_news content
>>> element page itself, but the tt_news manual says that it's better to do
> so
>>> via ts, and I was hoping that doing it via TS I wouldn't have to erase
> and
>>> reset the template every time I update the file. Also, I might need to
> set
>>> some other ts this way, and it seems like a logical thing to want to do,
>>> from my perspective.
>>>
>>> I'm sure either I just don't fully grasp how currentRecord is supposed to
>>> work (which would make me sad, unless someone knows a different way to do
>>> this), or I'm just doing something incorrectly. If there's some massively
>>> easier way to do this, please let me know -- although like I said I
> didn't
>>> think (or understand how) the other solutions I'd seen would work for me.
>
>>> Here's the ts I'm using to grab the tt_news element and stick it in my

>>> dates.10.table = tt_content
>>> dates.10.select.pidInList=879
>>> dates.10.select.uidInList=1316