Hi,

are you sure that .htaccess files are allowed by your host? If not, that's probably where your styling problems are coming from. Try to delete any .htaccess file (except for typo3/temp/compressor/.htaccess - this one has to be empty) and see if it works.

Another idea: Get the Firebug Extension for Firefox, activate it and switch to the Network tab. Then reload the page and look in the network list for failed http requests (css etc.). There is one column which shows the status return code.

Cheers