Thanks. I've installed fluidcontent.
Just to note: I had to include the static typoscript for all of my root templates. It didn't work when I only had them in one root template (got 2 on this site). But that is mentioned in the documentation: "Note that inclusion of this TypoScript should be done in all root templates in order to allow Extbase and Fluid to properly detect the configuration when working in the backend."

My custom fluid elements show up and do work now, too.
I've found this screencast which is really great! http://fedext.net/overview/fed-news/flux-140-released.html
Now I'd say, why should anybody still use templavoila?
I'll try out the use of sections :)