I do still get the overflow warings, not sure if those are anything to worry 
about ot not.

From: Rune Torgersen <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, July 13, 2026 9:53 AM
To: Rune Torgersen <[email protected]>; Time zone mailing list <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: Installing new tzdata on old system

I might have figured it out...
(As typical, 30 seconds after asking a question.,..)

make CFLAGS='-std=gnu99 -DHAVE_LINK=0' TZDIR=/usr/share/zoneinfo 
DATAFORM=rearguard ZFLAGS='-b fat' install

seems to work. (ZFLAGS = -b fat was required.)


From: Rune Torgersen via tz <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>>
Sent: Monday, July 13, 2026 9:43 AM
To: Time zone mailing list <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>>
Subject: [tz] Installing new tzdata on old system

Hi
I maintain a telephony (voicemail) system based on an ancient Linux version 
(Kernel 2.6.25, GCC 4.1.2, GLIBC 2.5, PowerPC (32bit, BE)).
I need to update timezones for the upcoming Canada permanent DST.

Last time I successfully installed new TZ files on this system was using 
tzdata2016c and tzcode 2016c.
Updating compiler and glibc is not possible, as we have quite the installed 
base of these, with old software

I can get tzcode+data 2026c to compile/install (with a  warning), but the 
resulting files do not work with the glibc version I have (date command returns 
time without tz info).

I could use some help in generating a version of tz files that will work.

The compile line I used was:
make CFLAGS='-std=gnu99 -DHAVE_LINK=0' TZDIR=/usr/share/zoneinfo 
DATAFORM=rearguard install

(HAVE_LINK=0 to force symlinks instead of hardlinks, as that is what the system 
expects).

date --version
date (GNU coreutils) 6.9

gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 4.1.2
Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Warnings when compiling:
strftime.c:70:39: warning: integer overflow in preprocessor expression
In file included from strftime.c:95:
localtime.c:267:39: warning: integer overflow in preprocessor expression


(I did get help here getting things to compile with the 2023 version, but I 
never actually used the output, nor check ed that it was working with the 
system)

Thanks,
Rune Torgersen
Innovative Systems LLC.

Reply via email to