On 2026-07-19 04:41 AM, James Bellaire via tz wrote:
On 7/19/2026 3:32 AM, Paul Eggert via tz wrote:
On 2026-07-18 13:03, Guy Harris via tz wrote:
And encourage developers to 1) not rely on "EST" in a string meaning UTC-05 etc., 2) stop using "EST" etc. in time stamp strings and switch to UTC±N,

Good advice, and it suggests that if the US changes go through as proposed, TZDB should follow Robert's suggestion[1] and switch North American time zone abbreviations from the (A|E|C|M|P|AK)(D|S)T abbreviation family to numeric abbreviations like "-04". This would help avoid collision with longstanding practice that includes both standards like Internet RFC 5322 and software packages galore. And we'd be following our own advice to not generate abbreviations like "EST".

Perhaps eventually common practice would become clear and we could start using alphabetic abbreviations again. Until things settle down, though, numeric abbreviations would likely cause fewer problems than alphabetic ones.

The suggestion is to use numeric abbreviations such as "-04"? One might as well set it at %z.

I believe the FORMAT field in the current form has value. My option is that the FORMAT field should be maintained as a "best effort" name for how people in that zone refer to their time.


If one wants to get wild we could use USET, USCT, USMT, USPT, USAK, USHI, USAZ, USPR, USAT (for America/Thule's Atlantic Time). Canada can have CAEST/CAEDT, CACST/CACDT, CAMST/CAMDT, CAPT ... wherever those zones end up.

What would break is using America/Puerto_Rico and America/Phoenix in Canada and expecting the FORMAT to be correct. So we're back to "AST" and figure out something for America/Thule if the US goes permanent DST.


I manually made the following experimental modifications to America/New_York  in the northamerica source file:

# Rule    NAME    FROM    TO    -    IN ON    AT    SAVE    LETTER/S
....
Rule    US    2007    2027    -    Mar    Sun>=8    2:00 1:00    D
Rule    US    2007    2027    -    Nov    Sun>=1    2:00 0    S

# Zone    NAME        STDOFF    RULES    FORMAT    [UNTIL]
        #STDOFF    -4:56:01.6
Zone America/New_York    -4:56:02 -    LMT    1883 Nov 18 17:00u
            -5:00    US    E%sT    1920
            -5:00    NYC    E%sT    1942
            -5:00    US    E%sT    1946
            -5:00    NYC    E%sT    1967
            -5:00    US    E%sT    2027 Mar  14  2:00
            -4:00        -    -04

I then Generated a set of tzIF files using my adapted version of zic.
And then ran my adapted version of zdump, which output the two last transitions as:

[217]
 1793512799 2026-11-01 01:59:59 isdst 1 gmtoff -14400 stdoff -14400 EDT
 1793512800 2026-11-01 01:00:00 isdst 0 gmtoff -18000 stdoff -14400 EST
 1793512801 2026-11-01 01:00:01 isdst 0 gmtoff -18000 stdoff -14400 EST
[218]
 1805007599 2027-03-14 01:59:59 isdst 0 gmtoff -18000 stdoff -14400 EST
 1805007600 2027-03-14 03:00:00 isdst 0 gmtoff -14400 stdoff -14400 -04
 1805007601 2027-03-14 03:00:01 isdst 0 gmtoff -14400 stdoff -14400 -04

So, those source changes work correctly without any modification to my zic or zdump code.

My opinion this morning (which could change by midday) is that this is the best way to do it.

I appreciate the idea of maintaining FORMAT. Paul has suggested restoring EST sometime later. But I think we should dispense with that.

The main point of FORMAT, as I understand it, was to keep POSIX abbreviations happy. But that convention originated decades ago when  POSIX time (UNIX time), and TzDb (Olson) was primarily directed to support USA time zones. This has led to TzDb inventing all sorts of versions of FORMAT to follow this tradition. This has worked OK for years. But POSIX seems happy enough with FORMAT such as "-04". I think that approach makes more sense going forward. I expect to hear other opinions. Of course we can't change those that exist.

I've only tested America/New_York so I suppose there could be complications in other time zones. Any approach will require updating CLDR and downstream distributions. And it's likely to set off changes in Mexico, Canada, EU, etc which will then need to be accommodated.

I hope the Senate does not pass the Sunshine Protection Act.

Reply via email to