Thanks! This is nicer.

christos

> On Oct 3, 2026, at 10:25 PM, Paul Eggert <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> On 2026-10-03 17:12, Christos Zoulas wrote:
>> I kept the original size_t buflen (because snprintf takes a size_t argument),
>> and then just cast the LHS of the if statement to (size_t)
> 
> Although that would work and would pacify the compiler, the cast is tricky 
> and things would be nearly as tricky if it were a conversion instead of a 
> cast (because casts are too powerful). The business about -1 wrapping around 
> to SIZE_MAX is not always immediately obvious: I can still remember my 
> surprise when I discovered that the C standard does not guarantee that the C 
> expression (SIZE_MAX == -1) is true.
> 
> It's OK to use size_t for the buffer size, though, so I installed the 
> attached additional patch. This makes the code closer to what was in 2026d, 
> while still pacifying the compiler and avoiding a 
> cast.<0001-Revert-to-size_t-for-asctime_r-buffer-size.patch>

Reply via email to