On Thu, Sep 19, 2024 at 04:13:02PM +0200, Simon Glass wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 15 Sept 2024 at 20:28, Tom Rini <tr...@konsulko.com> wrote:

> > > I doubt on productive machines there will be much use of U-Boot's smbios
> > > command use. It is more a developer tool.
>
> Many commands fall into that category.

Yes, there is a trade-off to be made.

> > > For reading all the details we currently have
> > > lib/efi_loader/smbiosdump.efi which can dump the SMBIOS table to a file
> > > that dmidecode can read.
> > >
> > > Maybe instead of adding more and more decoding logic into the U-Boot
> > > smbios command we should add an smbios sub-command to dump to a file.
> > > This would be less of a hassle than running an EFI program for the same
> > > purpose.
> >
> > Sounds like a good idea to me.
>
> I would like to see this series land in U-Boot as I believe it is very
> helpful for seeing what the table looks like. Dumping to a file which
> then needs to be decoded is not as convenient. We may also find it
> easier to add tests for SMBIOS.

And I don't look forward to the seemingly inevitable parsing bug means
CVE assigned. If the command is broadly enabled then "everyone" gets to
worry about it, and if it's narrowly enabled have we really gotten
better than the options of dump to file, parse elsewhere or load a
parser and run it?

--
Tom