Shinya Kuribayashi wrote:
> Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>
>>      start.S: Assembler messages:
>>      start.S:348: Error: relocation out of range
>>      make[1]: *** [start.o] Error 1
>>

>>      cache.S: Assembler messages:
>>      cache.S:243: Warning: Pretending global symbol used as branch target is
>> local.
>>      cache.S:250: Warning: Pretending global symbol used as branch target is
>> local.
>>

> Confirmed both error and warning. I'll look into them.

GNU assembler version 2.14 (mips-linux) using BFD version 2.14 20030612
That is from ELDK  3.1.1 (binutils 2.14-6), I definitely get the error.

GNU assembler version 2.14.90.0.6 (mips-linux) using BFD version
2.14.90.0.6 20030820 uClibc
This works, but the warning is present. There's a 3 months difference here.

>> Jean-Christophe Plagniol-Villard reports that he sees no problems (no
>> errors nor warnings) with binutils 2.18
>>

> Yes, it seems.

The warning seems harmless.
>> I wonder if it was possible to come up with a version of the code
>> that builds with somewhat older versions of the toolchains, too?
>>

> I have no idea at the moment.

We can somewhat revert the changes made, that's the only way it would
work with that particular version.
Apparently,  .gpword was supposed to work only on local symbols (this
comes from the MIPSpro tools), but this
was relaxed in later versions of gas. See
http://wwweic.eri.u-tokyo.ac.jp/computer/manual/lx/SGI_Developer/books/MProAsLg_PG/sgi_html/ch08.html

Patch to follow.

Regards,
Vlad