Dear Ed James,

In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> you wrote:
> I'm writing a standalone application that uses a non-GPL compatible library,
> so I have to be careful not to derive from GPL code.

Thanks for taking care.

> I've modified (and will release under the GPL) u-boot sources to export more
> u-boot functions to the jump table, including get_ipaddr, do_dcache,
> get_config_start,
> ip_to_string, do_jffs2_fsload, do_bootm.  My application downloads files from
> a server using u-boot's tftp functions (via jump table), does some stuff, then
> boots.
>
> Q1: Is this allowed?  Can I add other u-boot functions to the jump table and
> call
>          them from my standalone application w/o encumbering my application
> with the GPL?

Yes, you can do that, but of course you have to release the modified
source code of U-Boot under GPL.

> Q2: About which specific include files may be included in a standalone app...
>
> The COPYING file explicitly calls out include/image.h and
> include/asm-*/u-boot.h:

> But it does not mention examples/stubs.c, which is required I believe to
> use the jump table.  I think there are other includes which are needed to

You are right, stubs.c was forgotten when the code was changes a long
time ago.

Please submit a patch to add this to the COPYING file - we will  then
have  to  ask for permission from all the authors who contriobuted to
that file.

> build a meaningful standalone application, including common.h and exports.h.

Ditto for exports.h.

common.h should not be needed; it is under GPL and can only be used by
GPL code.

> My app directly includes the following, unmodified files:
>
>          examples/stubs.c                (linked with)
>          include/common.h
>          include/exports.h
>          include/net.h
>          include/linux/string.h

include/common.h, include/net.h and include/linux/string.h are not
allowed in non-GPL code.

> and those indirectly include:
>
>          include/config.h
>          include/asm/bitops.h
>          include/asm/byteorder.h
>          include/asm/global_data.h
>          include/asm/mach-types.h
>          include/asm/posix_types.h
>          include/asm/proc/ptrace.h
>          include/asm/ptrace.h
>          include/asm/setup.h
>          include/asm/string.h
>          include/asm/types.h
>          include/asm/u-boot-arm.h
>          include/asm/u-boot.h
>          include/cmd_confdefs.h
>          include/command.h
>          include/_exports.h
>          include/flash.h
>          include/ide.h
>          include/image.h
>          include/linux/bitops.h
>          include/linux/byteorder/generic.h
>          include/linux/byteorder/little_endian.h
>          include/linux/byteorder/swab.h
>          include/linux/config.h
>          include/linux/posix_types.h
>          include/linux/stddef.h
>          include/linux/types.h
>          include/part.h

Of these, only include/image.h and include/asm/u-boot.h are allowed in
non-GPL code.

> Is such an standalone application still not considered a derived work?

It has to be considered a derived work.

> I'm looking for an authoritative answer, hopefully from Herr Denk.

Above is just my $ 0.02 - remember that IANAL.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Life is a garment we continuously alter, but which  never  seems  to
fit."                                                  - David McCord