Dear David Saada,

In message <3026da9fe767e2418fa2c568fe4f5cb1b1eb04b...@ilptmail02.ecitele.com>
you wrote:

> Is there a recommended tool chain for building U-Boot on a PowerPC
> host? I've used ELDK on x86 hosts in the past for this purpose, and
> it worked fine, but now I need to perform it on a PowerPC host. As
> far as I could see, ELDK wasn't supported on PowerPC hosts.

I have to admit that I fail to understand the question. If you have a
running PowerPC host system, this should include the needed
development tools like gcc, as, ld, etc. So what else do you need?
Just set CROSS_COMPILE to a space or TAB...

> My target boards are the MPC85xx and MPC83xx ones.

Here is an example of building on a 64 bit PowerPC host runningr
Fedora 10:

        -> uname -m
        ppc64
        -> CROSS_COMPILE=' ' ./MAKEALL MPC832XEMDS
        Configuring for MPC832XEMDS board...
         185644   10460   26260  222364   3649c ./u-boot

Where exactly is your problem?

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: w...@denx.de
As far as the laws of mathematics refer  to  reality,  they  are  not
certain;  and  as  far  as  they  are  certain,  they do not refer to
reality.                                           -- Albert Einstein