Dear Jerry Van Baren,

In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> you wrote:

> Kumar solved this problem WRT cpu/mpc83xx/fdt.c fdt_fixup_ethernet(void
> *fdt) (and other CPUs) by using the device tree to find all the
> ethernets and configure them.
>    <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.boot-loaders.u-boot/45554>

But Kumar's  code  still  loops  over  the  "eth[N]addr"  environment
variables.  And  even though discouraged for normal use, there should
be a way to define these for the  (compiled-in)  default  environment
where needed (devices using a real ROM).

> Suggestion: Look at changing CONFIG_ETH*ADDR to CONFIG_ETH_FDT where
> that notation indicates the code should find the ethernet info in the
> fdt blob rather than #defines/env variables.

Please have a look at fdt_fixup_ethernet() in "common/fdt_support.c";
my reading of the code does not match your statements here.

> Do we need eth[1-5]?addr env variables?  I don't think so.

Yes, we do. That's what fdt_fixup_ethernet() uses to loop.

> If we really do need them, they can be generated from the fdt blob a'la
> Kumar's loop.

Either you or I must be missing something.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that  causes  you
to  stumble.  Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you
have crossed the mountain.