On Apr 2, 2013, at 5:32 AM, Sricharan R <r.sricha...@ti.com> wrote:

>> On first blush, it looks like having both cm_l3instr_intrconn_wp1_clkct and
>> cm_l3instr_intrconn_wp1_clkctrl is a mistake.
>
> First, on which board are you testing ?. I tested the mainline on my 4460
> ES1.1 PANDA and it booted.

One custom board still under development and also on the same Pandaboard you
have.

But further testing showed that CONFIG_SYS_AUTOMATIC_SDRAM_DETECTION (and the
related EMIF defines) stopped working somewhere between commits a268170 and
417c558. Returning to the pre-canned SDRAM modes allowed booting to work again.

The reason I suspected the clocks was that they were the *only* difference in
the entire debug log between the working and hanging cases. I don't know why
the SDRAM state difference which was the real cause did not produce even a
single difference in the log.

> As you said the unnecessary entry in omap_common.h should be removed and typo
> in prcm-regs.c
> I can correct this, but does correcting this gets you working again ?
> Enabling these two clocks should have nothing to do with boot.

Correct. As I later found, the clocks in question are non-essential for u-boot
and were not causing the hang.

> Also why are you enabling the non-essential clocks ?

Because I must be able to boot Linux kernels as far back as 3.0.8 which
predates this paradigm shift.

> Now enabling non-essential clocks is deprecated and they are **not** by
> enabled by default.

As a point of clarification, are you asserting that
CONFIG_SYS_CLOCKS_ENABLE_ALL and CONFIG_SYS_ENABLE_PADS_ALL have been
officially deprecated (e.g.: is planned for removal from u-boot)?

There is no mention of this anywhere within the source tree, including in any
documentation or README and, IMO, it would be very premature given that at
least 4 Linux kernel lines needing these inits are still within their longterm
support window.

But clearly until such removal happens dropping any that were previously
handled is a regression.

Thanks for the assistance!

-Mike