On 04/07/2013 03:29:31 AM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
Dear sun york-R58495,

In message <c707e9f4d8007146bf8dc1424b113ac70b3a4...@039-sn2mpn1-012.039d.mgd.msft.net> you wrote:

> > Can we not split this into:
> >
> >       dcache flush
> >       icache invalidate
> >
> > ?  This would make clear what's happening.
>

> The idea is to reuse existing code with minimum addition. For the applicati > ons concerned, these two steps are both needed. Splitting them doesn't make
>  things easier.

Reusing code is a Good Thing, but not when it comes at the cost of
obfucating what the code actually does.

> If I have to use existing command, I'd rather to put these two steps under
> icache invalide <addr> <size>.

No, this is not acceptable.  The "icache" command deals with the IC
only, it must not meddle with the data cache (like flushing it).

I thought you said it was OK to flush more than the user asked for, if the implementation does not have separate icache/dcache flushes? Why is it fundamentally different if it's a hardware limitation, or a limitation of the software layer whose functionality is being exposed?

-Scott