Hi Stefano,

On 01/09/2014 03:44 AM, Stefano Babic wrote:
Hi Christian,

On 09/01/2014 08:12, Christian Gmeiner wrote:

Agree that we have to sync u-boot and kernel, and this can be a way in
the short term.

I am asking if this is in the long term the best way to do it. You are
converting EDID values to fb_videomode *mode, and then again to the
device node as required by DT.
We have already had some talks about moving U-Boot configuration to DT,
that is U-Boot can be also configured by a DT file (see for example
support for Nvidia processors, they already support DT in U-Boot).

The problem for me here is that DT only does not work in my case. As it is
possible to attach different panels/displays via lvds (different
timings and resolutions)
we have put an at24 on our print, which contains the suitable EDID data.

So I need to readout the at24 every boot and need to manipulate the
loaded (emmc) DT.

Understood, thanks for clarification. Agree that we need functions for
EDID manipulation. My only concern remains if we need a temporary
conversion to videomode as in this patch, or we go towards a
edid-to-fdt() function.

I'd really like to keep Christian's patch and use it to remove
the hard-coded resolutions as shown in SabreSD and Nitrogen6X boards:

http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=blob;f=board/freescale/mx6sabresd/mx6sabresd.c;h=9dbe605cf4a5a8ba16c674f14b894ccb59bece9f;hb=HEAD#l266

http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=blob;f=board/boundary/nitrogen6x/nitrogen6x.c;h=53cb8dffd0d534629a4de5c7b9798733015adb6e;hb=HEAD#l520

Regards,

Eric