On Jun 16, 2014, at 10:41 PM, Gupta, Pekon wrote:

> Hi Larry,
>
>> From: Wolfgang Denk
>>> In message <ba...@usgs.gov> wrote:
>>>
>>> A recent situation has awakened me to a a behavior of U-Boot that maybe
>>> should be changed.
>>
>> U-Boot related questions should better be discussed on the U-Boot
>> (rather than the ELDK) mailing list.  I'm adding the U-Boot list on
>> Cc.
>>
>>> I am experimenting with a BeagleBone Black (BBB) single-board
>>> computer.  Occasionally when I perform a reboot, the BBB never
>>> finishes booting Linux.  When I happen to have a console cable
>>> connected, I see the U-Boot prompt.  This explains why the BBB has not
>>> booted Linux.  But it is a mystery why U-Boot is waiting for a command
>>> when I did not request interrupting the autoboot sequence.
>>>
>>> I found many others reporting the same experience -- and no solution.
>>> Until I found Andrew Glen's 10/28/2013 post at
>>> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/beagleboard/aXv6An1xfqI about
>>> U-Boot hangs likely due to noise on the UART0 port.  The solution he
>>> applied was to rebuild U-Boot to require specific text -- "uboot" --
>>> to interrupt the autoboot sequence.  (BBB have no flash, so there is
>>> no opportunity to permanently alter any U-Boot environment variables,
>>> if this is settable.)
>>
>> You should be able to store the environment on SDCard.
>>
>>> It occurs to me that this might be a more common occurrence on any
>>> number of circuit boards.
>>
>> No, this is in no way a common issue.  If you have any such line noise
>> on a serial port, you should start looking for hardware (design)
>> problems.  This is _not_ normal.  IF several boards of a specific
>> brand show such a problem, then I'm willing to bet that it's caused by
>> broken  (or simply too cheap) hardware design.
>>

> The fix and issue is given in the same mail as provided by you
> "I think we've found an issue. As I already mentioned, when an FTDI cable is
> connected everything works fine. First we thought it could be a grounding
> problem, but we couldn't found anything. Afterwards we had only the TX and
> GND signal of the FTDI cable connected, so we could see what the BB sends. We
> found out, that the BB goes into the U-Boot mode (the mode where you have to
> hit a key shortly after power up). It seems like that the BB receives
> something over the RX signal of the FTDI. We think the problem is the pull
> down resistor of the RX signal. We have changed it to a pull up, since the
> idle state of the UART is 3.3V, and changed the resistor to 10k instead of
> 100k. Now everything works fine.
>
> Regards,
> duckhunter"
> There are other responses too on same mail-thread which you can explore.

I experience the unrequested U-Boot prompt even when the FTDI cable is
attached.  I saw many suggestions for fixes on various web pages, and none of
them seemed to work for everyone that tried them.  The fix to slightly harden
U-Boot's behavior worked.

I agree completely with Wolfgang's opinion about either the design or quality
of the hardware.  Is this a lower quality hobbyist device?  Perhaps.  It is
also affordable, very popular, and very useful.  This is a dedicated (~TTL, not
RS-232) console port, not typically exposed to the user of the device, whose
sole purpose is to interact directly with the embedded U-Boot and Linux.  Is it
really such a good thing that U-Boot is so promiscuous in what it is willing to
accept as an invitation to converse?  I think it is good defensive programming
to be a bit pickier.  What is the harm?

I do not wish to argue with anyone about it.  I can make the change for myself
and I will certainly document the reason I am making the change in my notes.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Larry Baker
US Geological Survey
650-329-5608