On 14-08-28 06:24 AM, Tom Rini wrote:
On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 09:04:09AM +0200, Lukasz Majewski wrote:
Hi Steve,

On 14-08-26 02:14 AM, Lukasz Majewski wrote:
Hi Steve,

On 14-08-25 07:57 AM, Lukasz Majewski wrote:
[.. snip ...]

Is fair as I know bsd-3L-clause license is compatible with GPL.

However, to be 100% sure I'd like to ask Tom (as he has much more
legal experience than me) to confirm that this code can be added to
u-boot.

OK -- note that this "bsd-3L-clause" clause is almost identical to
the existing "bsd-3-clause"....

Tom, could you give your opinion on this?

So, upstream made a slight (and likely unintentional) change to the
normal BSD 3 clause license and changed the last clause from "the
copyright holders" to "The Linux Foundation".  I've poked our legal dept
about this but I suspect the best answer is to go back up to Android
folks and ask them to fix this quite likely unintentional change.

Actually, there are three diffs, and I am thinking that they were intentional (especially the last one!):

$ diff bsd-3-clause.txt bsd-3L-clause.txt
5,6c5
<    notice, this list of conditions, and the following disclaimer,
<    without modification.
---
>    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
10,12c9,12
< 3. The names of the above-listed copyright holders may not be used
<    to endorse or promote products derived from this software without
<    specific prior written permission.
---
> 3. Neither the name of The Linux Foundation nor
>    the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote
>    products derived from this software without specific prior written
>    permission.
16,17c16,17
< THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
< PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR
---
> THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND
> NON-INFRINGEMENT ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR

So, would U-Boot accept this BSD-3L-Clause, or should I contact Colin Cross to attempt to get a BSD-3-Clause version, or ????

Thanks, Steve