On 03/11/2015 03:21 PM, Karsten Merker wrote:
On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 02:31:07PM -0600, Stephen Warren wrote:

For manual booting, I would expect to always run the device-specific
command (e.g. bootcmd_usb0 or bootcmd_mmc1) rather than the
device-type-specific command (e.g. usb_boot, mmc_boot).

I'm not sure how the type-generic commands ever worked without
variables such as ${devnum} set, since they all pass ${devnum} to a
variety of commands in addition to the new "part list". Perhaps
those commands default to devnum==0 if the parameter is missing, and
you never wanted to boot e.g. from mmc 1 instead of mmc 0?

Yes, indeed - my boards only have a single instance of all devices.

I have just tried to "single-step" through the bootcmd framework
in u-boot 2014.10 (which is what Debian 8 will release with and
where "run usb_boot" works).  All commands used there work when
${devnum} is empty and then default to 0, while the later-added
"part list" fails without an explictly set ${devnum}.

As a result I will need to update the Debian installation
documentation.  As I would like to do it right this time ;-), I
just would like to get the confirmation that the device-specific
commands, such as "run bootcmd_usb0", are an "official" interface
that is going to stay in future u-boot versions, or - if they are
not - get the information what is the offical method for booting
from a specific device at the prompt.

We don't actually have an official specification of that at present. doc/README.distro should probably cover this but doesn't.

Suffice to say, I use those macros all the time, and I intended them to be used this way when I wrote the boot scripts. So, if I notice a change that stops them from working without extremely good reason, I'll complain.