Hi,

On 05/02/2015 03:48 PM, Ian Campbell wrote:
On Sun, 2015-04-26 at 11:57 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
Hi,

On 26-04-15 05:30, Ian Campbell wrote:
On Fri, 2015-04-24 at 15:48 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
u-boot has support for a number of boards for which a dts file still needs
to be written, add minimal dts files for these boards so that we can switch
them over to device-model / fdt.

Can these minimal things not be submitted to mainline regardless? I mean
they are factually accurate descriptions of the h/w so far as they go,
so why not?

These are not tested on the actual boards,

Not even with u-boot?

I must admit that they are not even tested with u-boot.

Can we CC the people listed in board/sunxi/MAINTAINERS as responsible
for the relevant boards and get them tested?

That is a good idea, I will mail them to test things once the dust has settled
a bit (wrt the merge window) and I'll also ask them to write full dts files
for the upstream kernel.

and Maxime will not take untested dts patches.

I presume/hope here you mean "completely untested" as opposed to "not
tested with Linux"? (Otherwise I'm going to have a little hissy fit on
some other list ;-))

Yes I mean completely untested :)

+ * [...] for u-boot only

These aren't really "for u-boot only", they are still generic facts
about the board, just perhaps a bit incomplete.

They lack mmc controller info for one, so no rootfs support on many
boards, iow not really useful. I'm afraid that we will just have
to live with these ones, and not accept any new boards unless they
come with a proper dts (which has been submitted upstream).

Hopefully over time these will get a proper dts too.

Regards,

Hans

Regards,

Hans