> On 4 Dec 2017, at 20:02, Stephen Warren <swar...@wwwdotorg.org> wrote:
>
> On 12/02/2017 06:12 PM, Tom Rini wrote:
>> Move the warning to an error as we have been promising would happen in
>> this release.
>
> Oh. This has broken my U-Boot build/test system. I guess it's entirely my
> fault for interpreting the "2018.01" warning as "you'll need to fix this in
> Jan 2018", not "you'll need to fix this as soon as development starts for
> 2018.01":-(
>
> Is there a reason for requiring such an extremely new gcc, as opposed to
> simply something not ancient?

GCC-6 matches the definition of “not ancient”.
We’ve just gone to phase 3 on GCC-8 a few weeks back, so GCC-6 will be 2 years
old in April.

Usually, toolchains for embedded targets are maintained on a “stable” and “one
behind-stable” basis.
Which already makes GCC-6 the oldest toolchain that will receive backports.
For example, Linaro now has GCC-6 and GCC-7 trees and will retire the GCC-6
tree once GCC-8 becomes stable (i.e. once 8.1.0 comes out in about April).

> For example, no LTS version of Ubuntu packages a compiler that's new enough
> to build U-Boot now:-(

I recommend crosstools-ng for situations like this… in fact, I recommend
crosstools-ng for any setup.
Building a [target]-elf toolchain really doesn’t take long.

Best regards,
Philipp.