On 12/19/2017 02:12 PM, Maxime Ripard wrote:
On Tue, Dec 05, 2017 at 10:28:20AM +0000, Andre Przywara wrote:
So even though the actual u-boot.bin for 64-bit boards is still somewhat
below the limit (~480KB), adding the ATF image (~32KB) pushes it over
the edge. So since v2017.11 u-boot.itb is already too big for the
traditional MMC env location.
So I've had a quick look about what could go possibly go away in our
current armv8 config (using the pine64+ defconfig). Let me know if
some are actually vitals:

  - FIT_ENABLE_SHA256_SUPPORT
  - CONSOLE_MUX
  - CMD_CRC32

We use this in travis tests, but since no Allwinner systems are present there, I guess we don't care.

  - CMD_LZMADEC
  - CMD_UNZIP
  - CMD_LOADB
  - CMD_LOADS
  - CMD_MISC (actually implementing the command sleep)
  - ISO_PARTITION (yes. For CDROMs.)

This one is needed to boot openSUSE or SLES images, since they come as .iso with el torito (which then gets booted using distro + bootefi).

  - VIDEO_BPP8, VIDEO_BPP16
  - VIDEO_ANSI
  - SHA256
  - LZMA

Removing those options make the u-boot.itb binary size going from
516kB to 478kB, making it functional again *and* allowing us to enable
the DT overlays that seem way more important than any feature
mentionned above (and bumps the size to 483kB).

Let me know what you think,

Out of the ones above, only ISO_PARTITION is the one I would definitely care about; please don't remove that one ;)

Alex