On 04/16/2018 12:43 PM, Simon Glass wrote:
+Stephen for comment

Hi Dinh,

On 14 April 2018 at 12:51, Dinh Nguyen <dingu...@kernel.org> wrote:
The request and free reset functions are not really used for any useful
purpose but for debugging. We can safely remove them.

The API is set to line up with clocks. I think in general we do want
to be able to request and free these devices, just as we do for GPIOs.
What is the goal of removing these methods?

Many of the request methods do in fact do something; they check the validity of the reset ID so that check doesn't need to be duplicated everywhere. Even ignoring that, any resource management API should have explicit request/free APIs so that lifetime can be tracked if needed.