Dear Albin Tonnerre,

In message <20100315192914.ga14...@pc-ran3241> you wrote:

> The SPI framework provided by u-boot (spi_setup_slave, spi_xfer and the like)
> cannot currently be used to read the environment from SPI devices. The reason
> is

This depends on what sort of SPI devices you are talking about. Do you
have plain simple EEPROM in mind, or things like SPI flash, or
eventually MMC/SDCard?  These are pretty different thinngs...

> I'm wondering what would be a proper fix for this. I don't think it is OK to
> say
> 'drivers reading the environment should not use the SPI framework', as those
> drivers might be used to do others things - that would make the SPI framework
> unsuitable for (e.g.) any SPI EEPROM. The only sane alternative I can see is
> that we introduce spi_setup_slave_$whatever, which would work the same way as
> spi_setup_slave, with the difference that it should be given caller-allocated
> storage, so that we avoid the use for malloc().

If you are talking about SPI EEPROM, then just enable EEPROM support
and environment in EEPROM, and set CONFIG_SPI. The EEPROM framework in
"common/cmd_eeprom.c" includes support for SPI EEPROM (this actually
predates the SPI framework).

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: w...@denx.de
No man knows what true happiness is until he gets married.  By  then,
of course, its too late.