On 5/1/19 3:34 AM, Marek Vasut wrote:
On 5/1/19 12:06 AM, Atish Patra wrote:
On 4/30/19 2:42 PM, Marek Vasut wrote:
On 4/30/19 10:38 PM, Atish Patra wrote:
On 4/30/19 12:11 PM, Marek Vasut wrote:
On 4/30/19 8:13 PM, Atish Patra wrote:
On 4/30/19 2:52 AM, Marek Vasut wrote:
On 4/30/19 3:27 AM, Atish Patra wrote:

[...]

Yes. FIT image parsing can be done in that way. However, the idea
was
here to load Image.gz directly. Image.gz is default compressed
Linux
kernel image format in RISC-V.

Sigh, and the image header is compressed as well, so there's no
way to
identify the image format, right ? And there's no decompressor, so
the
dcompressing has to be done by bootloader, which would need some
sort of
very smart way of figuring out which exact compression method is
used ?

Yes. Image.gz is always gunzip. So checking first two bytes is
enough to
confirm that it is a gz file.

What happens once people start feeding it more exotic compression
methods, like LZ4 or LZO or LZMA for example ?

booti command help will clearly state that it can only boot kernel
from
Image or Image.gz.

static char booti_help_text[] =
        "[addr [initrd[:size]] [fdt]]\n"
-    "    - boot arm64 Linux Image stored in memory\n"
+    "    - boot arm64 Linux Image or riscv Linux Image/Image.gz
stored
in memory\n"

Obvious question -- does this Image.gz stuff apply to arm64 ?

arm64 builds Image.gz but booti for arm64 doesn't use it. I guess
Image.gz can be used in FIT image for ARM64 but I am not sure which
platform actually uses it.

This patch only enables support for RISC-V.

Can't this be made generic ?

I think so if I just move the gzip detection and decompression code to
cmd/booti.c.

I will update the v3 patch with this.

Nice, thanks.

But since you're basically implementing file(1)-lite, I wonder whether
there isn't similar code somewhere in u-boot already.

I was hoping to find one as well. But I couldn't. I can add a generic gz detection function(same file(1)-lite approach) to a lib/gunzip.c

Regards,
Atish