On 8/23/19 8:40 AM, Anton Leontiev wrote:
From: Anton Leontiev <aleont...@elvees.com>

Original commit c61d94d86035 ("pxe: implement fdtdir extlinux.conf tag")
states, that if FDT file cannot be retrieved then FDT packaged in
firmware should be used.

It's not meant to say that. I believe the part of the description you're referring to is:

    if no FDT file was loaded, and $fdtaddr is set:
      # This indicates an FDT packaged with firmware
      use the FDT at $fdtaddr

That wasn't meant to say anything about "if there was an error loading the FDT file", but rather is meant to mean "if no FDT file was loaded because extlinux.conf contained no fdt or fdtdir statement". Nothing there is intended to refer to errors loading a specified FDT file.

If FDT file cannot be retrieved and it is specified explicitly using
FDT keyword then the label is skipped. If it cannot be found in
FDTDIR then internal FDT is tried first.

This makes the fdt/fdtdir keywords work differently. I don't think we want that.

What specific problem are you trying to solve?

And note that if we do change anything here, we should update the comment at around line 730, which describes the algorithm that's implemented.