Hello Albert,

Albert ARIBAUD <albert.aribaud <at> free.fr> writes:

> At the moment your problem is not being able to reset the PHY at times
> other than boot, i.e. the 'PHY API' would be limited to reset_phy()
> which is pretty much board-specific anyway.

The problem is the PHY being reseted by the driver and going to unworking state.
We need the board-specific quirk to bring PHY back to life and driver knows
nothing about this quirk.

> What prevents simply adding
> calls to reset_phy() to the driver?

Yes, we can just add calls to reset_phy() to the driver and we actually have
this solution as a simplest one in our options list. But this solution seems to
be imperfect: there are more drivers using 'on demand' PHY init, we need to add
calls to reset_phy() to each of them. Furthermore, if somebody will want to
switch some driver from early PHY initialization to on demand intialization he
will have to remember about adding reset_phy() call. So it is error prone.

So we'd like to discuss if there are cleaner solutions.

Regards, Ilya.

PS could use please reply not only to the ML but to me also? Thanks!